Sunday, 25 July 2010
1. Blog once a week minimum (4/4) - Its the last week - thank goodness!!! I hate the feeling of being forced to do stuff I've decided!
2. Say or do one nice thing for someone each day (20/31) - I'll be honest and admit Ive lost count on this one, some days are easier than others filled with good deeds and others its all I can do not to throttle someone! Ive only missed a few days so I'm happy with my count.
3. Exercise for 5 days out of 7 each week - arrrghhh but I need to get fit! (16/20) - I have busted a guton this one, doing something nearly every day. Today Ive been lazy but I am night shift!
4. Attempt to grow some vegetables during the month - never tried this so any tips welcome! (1/1) My pumpkin plant has bloomed :D and I have lots of shoots appearing in the veggies part so Im happy. I did find a HUGE slug on one of the leaves this morning and its clearly been nibbling. I'll need to find a way to protect my babies!
5. Make three donations during the month - whether its money or clothes to the charity shop. (3/3) Already completed this one, but hopefully donate some clothes over the next few days.
Friday, 16 July 2010
1. Blog once a week minimum (3/4) - Here I am again!
2. Say or do one nice thing for someone each day - Im not a fan of recieving compliments so tend not to give them but I shall try my best! (15/31) - Still going with this one, including helping an old lady with her shopping today, complimenting a friends outfit, and holding the lift for someone when really I just wanted to get moving!
3. Exercise for 5 days out of 7 each week - arrrghhh but I need to get fit! (11/20) - Been rock climbing again, and running after work, but I missed out on cycling today because I woke up at 6am being sick. Hopefully I'll be OK tomorrow and I can get back on my bike.
4. Attempt to grow some vegetables during the month - never tried this so any tips welcome! (0/1) Well I wont count it as a success yet but yesterday I noticed the tiniest green shoot appearing and today I see there are around three coming through. The weather is still cold, very wet and windy so hopefully if it gets better these guys will havea chance!
5. Make three donations during the month - whether its money or clothes to the charity shop. (3/3) Well I actually made three donations, two yesterday and one today. See what lying in bed sick does for you! Yesterday I made two new KIVA donations (http://www.kiva.org/). I lent $25 each to Fe from the Phillipines and a group in Krygyzhstan. Today I donated $15 to Rachel the creator of http://www.swap-bot.com/ as she is running a marathon and is raising money for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, rather her than me running a marathon!
Friday, 9 July 2010
Its been a hard week with me being night shift but here's the update ....
1. Blog once a week minimum (2/4) - Its week two and here I am!!
2. Say or do one nice thing for someone each day - Im not a fan of recieving compliments so tend not to give them but I shall try my best! (8/31) Ok so I definitely missed a day due to being tired and grumpy! But Ive followed through every other day.
3. Exercise for 5 days out of 7 each week - arrrghhh but I need to get fit! (7/20) Just home from indoor climbing and Im exhausted, I went running after nightshift each morning so Im well on target!
4. Attempt to grow some vegetables during the month - never tried this so any tips welcome! (0/1) The greenhouse is still standing though a little damaged! My pumpkin plants have started regrowing again - yay! No sign of the carrots, lettuce, or broccilli yet but it hasn't been so warm this week ...... still waiting!
5. Make three donations during the month - whether its money or clothes to the charity shop. (0/3) No donations yet.
Sunday, 4 July 2010
1. Blog once a week minimum (1/4) - Second time in a week, success!
2. Say or do one nice thing for someone each day - Im not a fan of recieving compliments so tend not to give them but I shall try my best! (4/31) Doing my best with this each day! Todays' involved texting my Mum since I havent seen her for two weeks.
3. Exercise for 5 days out of 7 each week - arrrghhh but I need to get fit! (3/20) So far Ive run after work, cycled before work, walked for 4 hours and today Im resting!
4. Attempt to grow some vegetables during the month - never tried this so any tips welcome! (0/1) OK, so the other day I built the marvelous greenhouse, and I potted some pumpkin plants that I had started to grow. This morning I looked out to check on my work and to my dismay the greenhouse had blown over and the plants were upside down and dirt everywhere. The wind is really bad today and the greenhouse is really light (plastic not glass) so its just blown over. Ive re-potted my pumpkin plants but they aren't looking too good now. Ive also sewn some brocolli, carrots and lettuce, but to be honest I don't really know what Im doing so who knows if they will ever grow! I've weighed down the greenhouse but I can't see it lasting long in Scotland - I should have thought this through better!!
5. Make three donations during the month - whether its money or clothes to the charity shop. (0/3) No donations yet.
Thursday, 1 July 2010
1. Blog once a week minimum (1/4) Im blogging today aren't I! *phew*!
2. Say or do one nice thing for someone each day - Im not a fan of recieving compliments so tend not to give them but I shall try my best! (1/31) Ive text my friend to wish him luck with an exam.
3. Exercise for 5 days out of 7 each week - arrrghhh but I need to get fit! (0/20) Im taking my running stuff to work in the hope of doing a run afterwards - thats commitment! Im mean who wants to go running at midnight after doing a 10 hour shift?! Flaming challenges!
4. Attempt to grow some vegetables during the month - never tried this so any tips welcome! (0/1) Well Ive built a mini green house all ready but its raining today so I'll need to plant another day.
5. Make three donations during the month - whether its money or clothes to the charity shop. (0/3) Not yet!
So its not going too bad for day 1, but Im sure there will be days when I just don't manage it!
Tuesday, 29 June 2010
At number three I had "Run or cycle for 5 days out of 7 each week", well I want to change this to "Exercise 5 days out of 7 each week" ..... the reason? Well last night I tried indoor climbing for the first time, and it was amazing! I will definitely be trying it again and it is certainly a form of exercise - I was exhausted at the end of the night! So with the wording change I will be able to include it in my 5 a week!
so my list now looks like this ......
1. Blog once a week minimum (0/4)
2. Say or do one nice thing for someone each day - Im not a fan of recieving compliments so tend not to give them but I shall try my best! (0/31)
3. Exercise for 5 days out of 7 each week - arrrghhh but I need to get fit! (0/20)
4. Attempt to grow some vegetables during the month - never tried this so any tips welcome! (0/1)
5. Make three donations during the month - whether its money or clothes to the charity shop. (0/3)
I also cut all the grass in my garden yesterday and bought pots and compost for planting the veggies - I'm quite looking forward to seeing if I can get them to grow. Ive never been a gardener and have no idea what Im doing so it could be a disaster!
Until next time......
Wednesday, 23 June 2010
Don't panic I haven't been sitting around doing nothing, quite the opposite actually which is why I seem never to have time to blog. I guess I need to set myself a challange to blog at least once a week from now on!
In fact given that there is only a week left in June (doesn't time fly!) I shall set up 5 tasks starting in July!
1. Blog once a week minimum
2. Say or do one nice thing for someone each day - Im not a fan of recieving compliments so tend not to give them but I shall try my best!
3. Run or cycle for 5 days out of 7 each week - arrrghhh but I need to get fit!
4. Attempt to grow some vegetables during the month - never tried this so any tips welcome!
5. Make three donations during the month - whether its money or clothes to the charity shop.
I will do my best to let you know how I am getting on with them, plus that will help me with #1!
Now before I sign off for tonight I might as well share at least one photo so you know I have been up to something over the last three months!
Here is an Alice in Wonderland Matchbox Shrine that I made.
Ive made a lot of Alice in Wonderland things over the past few months so no doubt you'll see a few more photogrpahs!
Wednesday, 24 March 2010
Unfortunately time hasn't been on my side so there hasn't been much experiment, however I did make the pillowcase dress (see previous post), and I did manage something else this week.
I work shifts, and Im on nightshift this week and this gave me the push I needed. Its getting lighter again earlier and this makes it harder to get a good sleep during the day, so I decided to make myself a sleeping mask, (well at least try to!!).
I had wanted to make one probably since this time last year, but didn't think it would be easy, but it was!
I drew myself a template cut a few peices of fabric for either side and some felt for inside to block the light and then sewed them together! Sew simple!!
In fact they are so simple that I think I'll be making one for my mum and sister!
Apologies for the rather horrid photo of me modelling my creation!
Sunday, 21 March 2010
Well today I drove over to his house, and we spent the day caching. First we went cycling & we tried a cache near his house. We also hid our first geocache in a spot he liked, it'll be fun to see who's first to find it!
We then returned to his house and then drove to Stirling and spent the day there on the hunt. Stirling is a beautiful place and rich in history, if only the days were longer!
Pictured is Rob Roy, who guards a nearby cache!
A succesful day with the stats .... Found 9 Hidden 1 Exhausted persons 2!
Tuesday, 16 March 2010
Ive still been making though, just not sharing it!
Pictured first are 10 inchies I made for a "Stamped Inchie Swap". each stamp had to have a rubber stamped image involved. I stamped the females and males on these, and the others have stamped objects and backgrounds.
I then made 12 inchies yesterday for a "Travel the World Inchie Swap" that Im hosting on swapbot. Four each for two partners and an extra set for a girl who was disappointed with the ones she recieved from her partner. Hope she likes mine!
I posted them off today on my way back from geocaching. A six mile walk through the woods near my home. The cache hadn't been found for over a year and a half so I wasn't 100% postive I would find it but I did! It was a gorgeous wee spot near a few small waterfalls. I sat there for a while, not only to catch my breath but because I love water, its so peaceful even when its racing down a hill!
Wednesday, 10 March 2010
Don't worry though I haven't been doing nothing with my time, I'll admit I haven't done as much as I could have, but I have made progress in the craft room!
I blame my lack of blogging on the Wii - its taking over my spare time! Have you played Big Bass Fishing - its addicting trying to land those fish! LOL!
Anyway, in the craft room this week I have been working on a project altering a tin. I joined a swap in swapbot where you had to alter something and include a key. I bought a set of gorgeous old keys and used two of them for my project.
The tin started out as a Hannah Montanta sweetie tin, and I covered it with primer and then a layer of acrylic paint. I used one of those Adirondack Acylic Paint Dabber - Lake Mist. So easy to use and I made it so it had a rough surface.
I then stamped the back (as shown above) with a Crafty Individuals rubber stamp (see http://www.craftyindividuals.co.uk/), and some black Staz-on ink.
I heat set it and then added a layer of modge pod to seal it.
I then drilled a hole in the tin and added an eyelet to attach the keys through. Unfotunately I didn't think this through properly as the tin wont slide open now due to the key ring stopping it. Oh well next time I'll know!
I tied a ribbon round one of the keys and added a cog from a watch, to add to the steampunk effect (I hope!).
I then finished the front of the tin with two layers of Diamond Glaze to seal it and add a great shine.
The tin already had a short chain on it so I left that in place.
Sunday, 28 February 2010
However being that its the last day of the Thing A Day 2010 challenge (thank goodness!), Im back with one last make. I just spent the last two hours making it and if Im tired at work tomorrow this is to blame! LOL!
I was surfing http://www.swap-bot.com/ earlier and saw a swap for "pillow case dresses", there is a charity which distributes dresses made from pillowcases to children in Africa who have nothing http://www.littledressesforafrica.org/blog/ . I have never heard of these dresses before and started researching as I was interested in how it could be done.
A few years ago I got a sewing machine for my Christmas and have failed to learn how to use it for anything more than Dotee Dolls, so I was planning to spend the month of March challenging myself to get it out and try making things with it.
But hey presto - Ive actually made one! now I didn't have any decent pillowcases or anything so it was just for practice but Im pretty pleased!!
Tuesday, 23 February 2010
Kiva aims to help people improve their lives by encouraging lots of people like us to make small donations to people in poorer countries and they pay it back to us in installments, check out http://www.kiva.org/ for more/better explanation!
Today my loan went to a group of three shopkeepers in Guatemala.
It was a decent day weather wise, though a little cold. The Loch was frozen solid, but still looked amazing. The great news was that I found 10 out of 12 caches!
Loch Humphrey frozen solid.
View from near the top - thankfully I wasn't taking on this beast of a mountain!
This lovely little burn had icicles it was so cold! Despite the cold though it had frog spawn it in!
Monday, 22 February 2010
I walked 6 miles round Glennifer Braes in Paisley, and took some interesting snaps.
This little guy and his friends got a bit close for comfort!
The final peak. Just had to find my way back now!!
This guy was out hunting worms and not caches like me!
Sunday, 21 February 2010
Saturday, 20 February 2010
Friday, 19 February 2010
Thursday, 18 February 2010
So I dragged out the cricut, I can just about get to it through all the scraps of paper, bottles of glue & rolls of tape etc on my desk, (I really need to clean the craft room). My sister had mentioned flowers and some sort of frame, so I came up with the following idea - the colours are just from paper scraps, I still need to think them through.
Wednesday, 17 February 2010
Tuesday, 16 February 2010
The Thing A Day is a challenge I am taking part in where you have to make something every day for the whole month of February. Im glad I took part in the challenge (even if I am taking part unofficially) as it has definitely encouraged me to get in the craft room and make something when normally I might not because I was too tired after work etc. However there is also a part of me that cant wait for it to finish as well because some days (like today) I just don't feel inspired and it seems like a huge hassle to force myself to make something.
So today I have started with a bit of a cheat, I haven't been into the craft room yet, but I will try later, but just incase my 'make' for today was a donation to KIVA.
If you haven't heard of KIVA, its an international website http://www.kiva.org/ who aim to alleviate poverty. The site allows to you lend money to others who repay it back in installments. You can donate as little as $25 to people all around the world and it helps them improve their business or repair things. KIVA explains it much better than me, so why not take a look at their site.
Today was my fourth donation, and I chose to lend to Aslam Hamidov in Tajikistan.
In addition to yesterdays post, people have been asking for the recipe for the caramel shortcake. Its not my own recipe, but Ive used it many times and it is gorgeous! So here is the link, enjoy, and don't blame me if you put on the pounds! http://www.ciao.co.uk/Recipes_for_Desserts__Review_5352795
Monday, 15 February 2010
However don't worry I have made something today. Its for taking into work tonight and its in the kitchen cooling down, its making my tummy rumble just thinking about it! Its a favourite with my colleagues so I hope they are happy!
Its caramel shortcake!........I'll photograph it once its cut.
Sunday, 14 February 2010
Saturday, 13 February 2010
Friday, 12 February 2010
I made a set of four 'dark & eerie' inchies for a swap partner I have in a free theme Inchie swap. I had already made her some inchies but then read she liked dark & eerie so I'll keep the first set I made for someone else.
Thursday, 11 February 2010
I wasn't happy with the way my Inchie Houses were turning out (see day 4), so decided I needed to go back to the start, and choose less busy background papers for them.
Tonight I selected new papers, printed, cut and glued them to the base template and cut them out again. Ive photographed them folded but not glued as I still have to decorate them before they are fixed in place. I think they look better already but Im off to make some signage on paint shop pro for them such as 'bank', 'toilet' etc!
Wednesday, 10 February 2010
Tuesday, 9 February 2010
Sunday, 7 February 2010
I know next week is going to be even more of a challenge because Im working away for 3 days so fingers crossed I can keep it up!
Today I got back to basics and made myself a stock of inchie bases. I find it helps to have a stock so when you're feeling creative you can just grab them and get going without losing the inspiration.
I took a peice of A4 card and coloured it with acrylic paint. I then stamped on some of it or added torn paper. They give me a base to work on when I start my inchies.
Friday, 5 February 2010
I tried, however my printer is out of yellow ink and wont recognise the new cartridge I have. Its one of those annoying printers that wont alow you to print at all if its out of one colour even if you dont need the colour its out of. I really wish you could over ride it but you cant. So making is out of the question until I get a new cartridge. Hopefully I'll be able to find some at the supermarket tomorrow after work.
Thursday, 4 February 2010
Wednesday, 3 February 2010
Tuesday, 2 February 2010
I was out all day walking and was exhausted by the time I got home and had dinner. I really didn't want to get in the craft room, but since I had to, I did!
First here is a snap I took when out today.....
I was geocaching all day and had a semi succesful time, finding 4 caches. I went to Largs in Ayrshire, it was cold and windy but after the snow stopped the sun came out.
OK, so my make for today is another Inchie bookmark.
This one is for my other partner, she is like me a loves anything Japanese themed, so i hope she likes her Geisha bookmark!Oh, nearly forgot, guess what arrived today in the post but my new papers - Im so excited to use them, or at least spend ages looking at them before filing them away again in the "too nice to cut up" drawer!
Monday, 1 February 2010
Unfortunately it looks like Im too late to sign up so Im setting myself the challenge here! I shall try and make something everyday and display the photo here.
So I best go get in the craft room!!
Friday, 29 January 2010
Due to being late to bed, I only had a few hours this afternoon to craft, but I made the most of it!
I finished off my magnetic inchies with some diamond glaze, although this stops you photographing them very well!
I also made inchies for the Alphabet Inchie Swap Im hosting on swapbot. This round was for the letters P - T. I went for Pirate, Queen, Red, Spider (which scared me even making it!!), & T-shirt! I haven't photogrpahed them yet, but I'll share soon.
I ordered some new paper pads today, ive had some bad luck of late and thought I'd treat myself since its payday. I went to the site with the intention of only spending £10, but ended up spending £20 - shame on me! I have millions of paper already!! I can't wait for it to arrive though! It will be the same as normal, I'll think its too nice to use and end up adding it to the pile - does anyone else do this?!
Thursday, 28 January 2010
Wednesday, 27 January 2010
Anyway not one to be defeated I returned last night after work and armed with my camera attempted to get a good shot. Unfortunately it was windy and I was taking a photo over the river Clyde so the water wasn't smooth like a few nights before. I couldn't get a very good photo, I really need to study my camera more! Here is the final shot I settled for.